Re: [Xen-devel] serial8250: too much work for irq4

To: Markus Armbruster <armbru@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] serial8250: too much work for irq4
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:08:57 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 03:09:27 -0800
Newsgroups: chiark.mail.xen.devel
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Markus Armbruster writes ("[Xen-devel] serial8250: too much work for irq4"):
> Wild guess: Unlike a real UART, the virtual UART empties as quickly as
> the kernel can stuff in bytes.  So, while the kernel has bytes to stuff,
> it doesn't get around to doing much else.

This is certainly true and would explain the message you see.

Are there any other adverse symptoms ?  In principle it would be
possible to add a rate limit but it seems poor to artificially
rate-limit a virtual device to the wall-clock speed of the physical
object.

Ian.