[Xen-devel] Reserving a specific range of physical memory for a guest.

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Reserving a specific range of physical memory for a guest.
From: "Dasari, Annapurna" <annapurna.dasari@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:18:41 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:19:32 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I am trying to reserve a specific range of physical memory for a special VM (That memory can only be allocated to this special VM). I need the memory to be physically contiguous and the size can be around 1GB. I am planning to get the VM memory requirements (start address and size) from the BIOS e820 tables. For now I am looking at what xen modifications I need to make this happen? After navigating the source extensively, I am thinking this can be achieved by creating a separate e820 entry for that region, and assign that physical memory to a dummy domain “dom_spec_vm” similar to dom_io, similar to the way non RAM memory is assigned to dom_io in arch_init_memory. Following this I want to intercept populate_physmap function and bypass the heap allocator for my special VM, and I will assign  it the memory I  previously assigned to dom_spec_vm.

However I am not sure if this will work and how complex it will be? I am yet to identify other areas that need to be changed. Also I am assuming that the xen/dom heap will not contain this physical memory, it will be treated just as a hole in RAM memory correct?

Please let me know if there is a better way to do this? Also can I do this without bypassing the heap, but reserving certain zones instead?

Please advice.

Thanks,

Annu.