AW: AW: [Xen-devel] How to use Px/Cx for power saving?

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Akio Takebe'" <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: AW: AW: [Xen-devel] How to use Px/Cx for power saving?
From: Carsten Schiers <carsten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:53:34 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 02:54:08 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kevin, did I understand you right, that I have to tare care when using
cpufreq=dom-kernel to pin vcpus to physical cpus? I didn't do anythinh
specific, but xm vcpu-list says:

> Name                                ID  VCPU   CPU State   Time(s) CPU
> Affinity
> Domain-0                             0     0     0   r--     303.0 0
> Domain-0                             0     1     1   -b-     225.2 1

which looks ok. What would be the implication, if there is a fault? Could
this be the reason for my TSC drifts mentioned elsewhere here on the list?

Also, is acpi_cpufreq an alternative to e.g. powernow-k8 or speedstep-centrino?
Whereas powernow-k8 works on my system, acpi_cpufreq is reporting a FATAL:
No such device. It's a quite new board, so I am not sure, whether this means
the
BIOS doesn't support it (my asumption is, acpi_cpufreq uses the BIOS instead of
a CPU-based driver, like powernow-k8).

Thanks for helping me with all that stuff, it's quite complicated if you're new
to it.

BR,
Carsten.