Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Allow domains to share instruction pages with eac

To: Michael Abd-El-Malek <mabdelm@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] PATCH: Allow domains to share instruction pages with each other
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:22:24 +0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 01:22:52 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/01/2009 01:08, "Michael Abd-El-Malek" <mabdelm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Allow domains to share instruction pages with each other.
>
> Xen changeset 4ec25db9326a (Nov 3, 2008) set the NX page bit on pages
> shared between domains.  That broke my ability to execute a binary
> whose pages are mapped from another domain.
>
> My fix: I removed the NX page flag.  I don't see a security problem
> with this: if domain A maps a page from domain B, it somehow trusts
> it, and can do any additional checks after the page is mapped.  But
> absolutely disallowing execution of instructions from a mapped page
> seems a little too strict.

I think NX as default is pretty sensible. If you want to be able to make
executable shared mappings via grants, how about we add a flag
GNTMAP_executable to gnttab_map_grant_ref? You can use that in
create_grant_host_mapping() to zap _PAGE_NX.

If that works for you, feel free to make a patch.

 -- Keir