RE: [Xen-devel] domains not shutting down properly - theproblemisback ag

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] domains not shutting down properly - theproblemisback again
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 21:11:33 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 02:11:59 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > the Dom0 backend drivers.
>
> Yeah, I was going to say... :-)
>
> Anyway, your observations can be explained by the fact that the
restarted
> xenstored will not auto-connect to any domain. So since it holds no
> resources of the domU, it won't impede the domU's destruction.

Even a domain I create subsequent to restarting xenstored & xend? 'xm
console' doesn't work in that case so I'm guessing not.

> Xenstored is supposed to receive a VIRQ_DOM_EXC when a domain is
killed
> (see
> xen/common/domain.c:domain_kill(). This should trigger
> xenstored_domain.c:domain_cleanup() which queries every domain it
knows
> about and if it sees XEN_DOMINF_dying (which gets cooked in libxenctrl
> into
> boolean flag dominfo.dying) then it should talloc_free() the domain
state
> and hence release resources. These are the paths you need to log.

I have previously logged xenstored_domain.c:domain_cleanup() - it never
gets called during the domain crashing or being shut down. I think the
action of creating another domain (or an explicit 'xm destroy') results
in domain_cleanup() getting called somewhere along the way, which mostly
cleans up the domain but obviously leaves a few pages and an event
channel lying around (as revealed by 'xm debug q' and 'lsevtchn').

I guess I'll start adding some logs to domain.c...

Thanks

James