Re: [Xen-devel] Windows SMP

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Windows SMP
From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:08:04 +0000
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dirk Utterback <dirk.utterback@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Venefax <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 02:08:33 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=uzgdPHiXMV06m5gbFRHKo8H97KlYBQCua+pAO8OQ/5M=; b=sTXN3YGGWP0N3IFOZOIAiaF7yeyZCufmDubQVsbfl1rJRUNjTMmV/0ut9WkkfSJagf onebI9U070tY4PNaMavW8sSxx/Kfeno8FliVFfqKaiHhMpIYgjK+E5CXLtXQoGP+w8Ix zm97YGGaUOKxCecL7TFu1JZwO19J6t5m8Bbo0=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 30/12/2008 12:41, "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> In the architecture manual it is known as apic-access virtualisation. I
>>> don't know whether it would be a headline feature in a processor's data
>>> sheet.
>>
>> Can you point me to the code where apic-access virtualisation is used?
>> Displaying a message might be a nice small improvement for me to
>> figure out and contribute.
>
> You can make use of the macro cpu_has_vmx_virtualize_apic_accesses to
> control a printk() at the end of
> xen/arch/x86/hvm/vmx/vmcs.c:vmx_init_vmcs_config().

Thanks Keir, I added a couple of printk's as you suggested and I can
now see if the feature is supported:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5420  @ 2.50GHz = (XEN) APIC Access virtualized
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz = (XEN) APIC Access emulated

I didnt expect my Xeon system to support it, I've read some pdf's
about Intel virtualizaton features and they seemed to suggest it was a
new feature on 7xxx Xeons.

The results fit the performance I've seen, a windows xp 32 bit hvm
with 2 cpu's runs a lot faster on the Xeon 2.5 than on the Core 2.4.

Andy