Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch 2 of 2]: PV-domain SMP performance Linux-part

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch 2 of 2]: PV-domain SMP performance Linux-part
From: Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:42:15 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 02:42:40 -0800
Domainkey-signature: s=s768; d=fujitsu-siemens.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:Organization: User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:CC:Subject:References: In-Reply-To:X-Enigmail-Version:Content-Type: Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ud5VoHkWN9jXYpUBu2PAz2CmL6TvsR68rY0X3jjoxl8rF0SeMRFniNWS cp1f2Wl0SHxo2DcFZNQ1MC2F57AaTnFTObYtSpgpH/6+qmOB2IfTCqlYK Jc2toMuz7+0l+GS;
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Regarding handling this in Xen only: not to deschedule a vcpu in case of
>> interrupts disabled is easy, but how would you deschedule it after interrupts
>> are allowed again?
>
> It's all the same as with the newly added flag of yours - it requires
> cooperation
> from the guest (plus the forced de-schedule if it fails to do so). It's just
> that
> you don't need to set two flags when disabling interrupts, that second flag
> would only be needed when you want to avoid being de-scheduled for
> reasons other than event delivery being disabled.

I just wanted to be independent from the event mechanism. I'm fine with
merging the two features, but it would be more limiting than necessary.
It's like disabling IRQs and avoiding preemption of a thread: you can avoid
preemption by disabling IRQs, but this is not the best way to do it...

Juergen

--
Juergen Gross                             Principal Developer
IP SW OS6                      Telephone: +49 (0) 89 636 47950