Re: [Xen-devel] Re: pv_ops dom0 USB fixed

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: pv_ops dom0 USB fixed
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 20:57:36 +0000
Cc: deshantm@xxxxxxxxx, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Aviv Grafi <aviv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:58:18 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 11:26 -0800, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

> > Also noticed the dom0 builder doesn't (yet) boot bzImages, right?
> >

> Yeah.  It's on the todo list, but I don't think anyone's lined up to
> do it yet.  Shouldn't be more than a couple of hours work for someone
> with some expertise in the area (hint hint).

The main stumbling block is the lack of any existing decompression code
in the hypervisor. I've got half a patch somewhere which uses Linux's
inflate.c (it should be in an init section so it's thrown away after
boot) but it's not complete, it was a while ago so I don't even recall
how not-complete it was. I can dig it out if someone wants to pick it up
before I get back round to it.

An alternative option might be a multiboot shim which picks apart any
bzImage format modules in its input and passes the result down the chain
to the next module. e.g. your grub entry might look like:
        title bz-xen
                kernel unbzimage
                module xen.gz dom0_mem=foo
                module vmlinuz root=blah