Re: [Xen-devel] Patch: implementing least priority interrupt routing

To: Juergen Gross <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Patch: implementing least priority interrupt routing
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:10:47 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:11:13 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 18/11/08 09:59, "Juergen Gross" <juergen.gross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> the attached patch implements interrupt routing to least priority processor
> for HVM domains.
> Instead of round robin the vcpu with the lowest processor priority is selected
> for the interrupt. If multiple vcpus share the same low priority interrupts
> are distributed between those round robin.
> Tested with BS2000 domain (3 vcpus, idle processors are now preferred
> interrupt target).

Where idle means 'not processing an interrupt'. Which ought to be by far the
most common case even for a non-idle CPU. Does this really improve load
balancing all that much? Does BS2000 spend lots of time in IRQ context?

My fear is that extra complexity here slows down dest_lowprio for all OSes
(and it's used by a lot of OSes) for every ExtInt delivered.

 -- Keir