Re: [Xen-devel] detecting a 'block-configure' via xenbus

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] detecting a 'block-configure' via xenbus
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 09:16:37 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 01:17:28 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 16/11/08 09:02, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Under Debian Lenny's Xen 3.2.1, when I execute such a command, Dom0
> writes to the backend values 'params' and 'type', twice, but doesn't
> update the 'sectors' value to match the new device, or initiate a state
> change. Given that, the best I can come up with is to watch 'params',
> and initiate the state change in DomU to re-initialise the backend
> connection and hopefully get an updated sectors value...

block-configure has only ever worked for CDROM virtual media changes (i.e.,
change ISO file) for HVM guests, via full qemu CDROM drive emulation. It
appears nothing else was ever implemented, so this has no chance of working
without further blkback/blktap changes.

I noticed that the SuSE kernel does have a new blkback source file cdrom.c
which I don't think has ever been proposed for inclusion in xen-unstable.
Perhaps that is a protocol extension worth looking at?

 -- Keir