Re: [Xen-devel] Does Xen detect busy-spinning VCPUs?

To: Daniel Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Does Xen detect busy-spinning VCPUs?
From: Robert Kaiser <kaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:47:02 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:46:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel,

thanks for your response!

Am Freitag 19 September 2008 16:36:13 schrieb Daniel Magenheimer:
> Is your mini-OS pinned and you're sure dom0 or other
> domains are not getting a piece of the pcpu?  If so...

Well as I said: It's my own scheduler that decides. I can see that it gets
invoked a few times, but I checked that it always returns the VCPU that is
running the spinning loop. Thus, if everything outside my scheduler plays by
(what I think are) the rules, that VCPU should be the only one to get access
to the PCPU. (Except for interrupt-level activities, of course). So, just
_assuming_ that interrupt processing does not eat up those tens of
milliseconds, where else can they possibly go?

Any hints as to how I could proceed to pinpoint this problem? So far I have
debugged my code by running the entire system on Qemu, using its built-in
debug stub. However, anything time-related behaves completely different on
Qemu than on real hardware, so I can't use that setup any more. Presently,
I'm trying to get Xen's built-in GDB stub to work, I wonder if that will be
any better than Qemu. AFAIU, the stub would have to preserve TSC register
contents across breakpoints, otherwise the time coordinate perceived by the
system will jump erratically. Not sure if it does that really, so this may
turn out to be another dead end -- oh well..

> I've seen anecdotal evidence of long pauses that led me
> to wonder about interrupt latency here:
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-08/msg00232.html
>
> I don't recall the situation or the length of the pause
> but perhaps you are seeing something similar.  Unfortunately,

I am seeing situations where two subsequent calls to NOW() in the Mini-OS
context deliver time coordinates that differ by 95(!) milliseconds. If this
were due to interrupt latencies, surely that would have been noticed by
someone?

Cheers

Rob

Labor für Verteilte Systeme            kaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx