[Xen-devel] How to increase timer resolution?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] How to increase timer resolution?
From: Robert Kaiser <kaiser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 08:06:28 +0200
Delivery-date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:05:41 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi everyone,

I'm using Xen 3.2.1 in my experimental setup, trying to find relationships
between switch frequencies and overheads. For that, it would be good if I
could increase the resolution of the  timer (i.e. the one that you access
with set_timer(), stop_timer() and friends). Currently, this seems to be
fixed at 10 milliseconds, but I would like to change it to 1ms or maybe even
down to a few hundred microseconds. I'm aware that this will affect
performance --  that is part of what I'd like to measure.

Can you experts give me some hints how to do this, i.e. is it just a matter of
giving the kernel the right commandline options (which?), can it be done by
changing a few compile time constants   (which? where?), or is there more
involved?

Ideally, I would implement a new control function by which dom0 could change
the frequency dynamically at run-time, but even having to re-compile Xen
between experiments might be an acceptable approach. However, the code base
is so dauntingly huge for a newbie like myself, I'm having difficulties in
finding the right set-screws.  Can anyone help me out?

Cheers

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                    http://wwwvs.informatik.fh-wiesbaden.de