[Xen-devel] Re: Question about the Xen Scheduler

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Question about the Xen Scheduler
From: "Girish V" <girish.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:26:24 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:26:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=zoPu5switsTTs/w83GD8WCJS7WlaIlyoefTvlVCv1NQ=; b=Gx0ccTA1U6GSlBva9jz4nbUO2Bbu93D/dTUq2GWzujKGsaKLUEXPCc7V7yh/0xJ6u3 o4kk3IUr/KzRCoA6lLDSsyIlnpP8hB71F6eM+m3+DrboBU52gDIQfR87CcYz8TA7qnbD Tnm7KfmWOHxUJER2gisuv71mnMdbvTtSInt0I=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I realized that the reason domU was not being scheduled was because I
had not set the scheduling properly. When domU is created (on Xen
3.0.2) the schedule for the domU is "best effort" i.e. no cpu time
slice is gauranteed to it, but if any cpu time is available, it may be
used for the domU.
xm sched-sedf prints out
Name                              ID          Period(ms)
Slice(ms)          Lat(ms)          Extra          Weight
Domain-0                         0               20.0
  15.0                  0.0               1                  0
user-domain                     3              100.0
  0.0                  0.0               1                  0

Changing this to set equal time slices in a given period for both the
dom0 and domU fixed the issue.

Thanks.