Re: [Xen-devel] ioemu

Christoph Egger writes ("[Xen-devel] ioemu"):
> is it possible to get ioemu-remote into mercurial?

No.  Well, it would be possible, but it wouldn't be desirable.

> When I packaged Xen 3.3.0 for NetBSD, I run into the problem that
> the git tree could not checked against a checksum because
> a) the download happens during the build phase.
> b) the checksum check works against one file but not against a whole tree
> The checksum phase happens right after the download of the
> Xen 3.3.0 source tarball.
> I think, Gentoo Linux has the same problem.

I'm not sure I understand what checksum you're referring to here.  Is
it part of the NetBSD ports system ?  What does the ports system
expect ?

> I worked around this by using the in-tree ioemu.

How about using the official 3.3.0 tarball which contains a copy of
ioemu-remote ?

> In this respect, I would like to know if the move to the new ioemu
> can be done by updating the ioemu code in the mercurial tree by
> taking over the sources from the ioemu-remote tree into mercural
> tree.

We won't be doing this.  The point of using git rather than hg is to
much more easily manage the interactions and patch workflows between
the various branches of qemu, of which ioemu-remote is just one.

Dealing well with this kind of forked up trainwreck requires a lot of
heavy lifting from the revision control system.  git can do this
(despite the appalling user interface) and hg can't.

> This would also allow to create snapshot packages from unstable
> via hg archive -t tgz xen-snapshot.tar.gz in a half-automated way.

I agree it is a shame that our official tarball isn't made entirely
mechanically.  If you would care to contribute a script that
reproduces the 3.3.0 tarball when dropped into the appropriate
xen-3.3-testing changeset, and also does a sane thing in currently
xen-unstable, we'll consider including it and using it next time.

Ian.