Re: [Xen-devel] unfair VCPU scheduling: slow HVM guest boot

To: "Christoph Egger" <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] unfair VCPU scheduling: slow HVM guest boot
From: "George Dunlap" <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 12:39:45 +0100
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 04:40:08 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=mdG6EvCZMdnkys0dbZCc9p7ytYUwcT4j3aKnDkMjtLE=; b=byttxJ8mKHxe0dPDE2RVDP9/JqxmsxSz3wStIASxImDAY4xYGD97Zp4WezWeBYpPmp X5lHACk5ARbQywovJfTUDVnUz9VS0XyuOvqHVpxht+Hf14pDELjk/aTWdITAtjemNXyi ReAyimDe27KTG3xkaLhlfdma9X1ayz9cLOgg0=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=FIwH8VU+3W/GWEA4bn14kcA/wF6h89C0RQFDVX8v7aPOcbILSZghDPwNXGmLia/cAd k2D+If3N95OfS3IyiC8UvsEIyVeEgT94BoxXFIuZ6OCS35e0qsGBGwxSAkOMQdHN3H2I qifqu0bt3o+I7IP1EYUCYKRjIc5g1e3gVVTo0=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The fact that there's different amounts of cpu time isn't evidence
that the scheduler is unfair.  The vcpus may be blocked, or may be
coming up at different times.

Is there a particular reason you want to run with more VCPUs than physical cpus?

Given that cpu synchronization primitives like spinlocks and IPIs were
generally designed with the assumption that they're running on bare
metal and are not pre-empted, it's not surprising that when vcpus are
trying to work together but not able to run at the same time, there
will be performance problems.

 -George