[Xen-devel] ANNOUNCE: Next Xen release is 4.0

To: xen devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] ANNOUNCE: Next Xen release is 4.0
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:07:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:07:40 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Folks,

With all the new features that have been integrated into the project
recently, now is a great time to upgrade our version number to
advertise this progress. Xen 3.0 was released back in December 2005, and in
the intervening two and a half years we've:
 * made six further major releases;
 * made a number of minor releases on the 3.1 and 3.2 stable branches;
 * committed over 10,000 changesets to the public source repositories (more
than contained in all releases up to Xen 3.0, combined!)

The following is a sample of the major features integrated since Xen 3.0:
 * Support for AMD's SVM virtualisation extensions.
 * A new easy-to-use CPU scheduler with automatic SMP load balancing
 * Xenoprofile: oprofile support for Xen systems
 * Packet segmentation offload in the network drivers
 * Dynamic-allocation and copy-on-write disks (blktap/qcow)
 * kexec/kdump support for Xen and domain 0
 * Paravirtualised framebuffer drivers
 * XenAPI
 * HVM save/restore/migrate
 * HVM memory ballooning
 * Support for 32-bit x86 guests on 64-bit hypervisor
 * Xen Security Modules (XSM)
 * ACPI S3 suspend-to-RAM support for the host system
 * PCI pass-through support (with appropriate Intel/AMD hardware)
 * Full x86 real-mode emulation for HVM guests

With all this in mind, I will be changing the version number in the
xen-unstable repository to 4.0.0 for the next release candidate (rc3).
Comments and opinions are welcome!

 Regards,
 Keir