[Xen-devel] Re: Fail by emulating Real Mode

To: "Mitov, Stefan" <stefan.mitov@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Fail by emulating Real Mode
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:24:17 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:24:44 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 28/7/08 15:14, "Mitov, Stefan" <stefan.mitov@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

after some time working with Xen 3.2 and 3.2.1 i tried to test some features of the unstable Xen 3.3 version. I'm using HP xw8600 Workstation with 2 Quad Core Intel Xeon E5440 @ 2.83GHz stepping 06. I'm using my old colfiguration file which works with Xen 3.2.1 without problems. I try to create on Debian 4.1.1-21 a Windows XP hvm domain with 1 or 2 virtual cpus and 1 or 2 Gb memory.  I didn't found related threads with my problem in the mailing list so far and therefore i hope you can help me.

It appears to have failed to emulate a SYSRET instruction. This isn't a valid instruction in real mode in any circumstances. We do test with Windows guests quite regularly (although probably with w2k3 more often than XP), so this failure is very odd. I'm not sure what to suggest -- perhaps a different Windows version install CD image, if you have one?

 -- Keir