RE: [Xen-devel] VM creation failure using passthrough with latestunstabl

To: "Ross Philipson" <Ross.Philipson@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] VM creation failure using passthrough with latestunstable
From: "Cui, Dexuan" <dexuan.cui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:09:30 +0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:10:24 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   File "//usr/lib/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 2094, in _constructDomain
>     raise VmError("Fail to assign device(%x:%x.%x): maybe VT-d is "
>  VmError: Fail to assign device(ff:1f.7): maybe VT-d is not enabled, or the device is not exist, or it has already been assigned to other domain

According to the log (actually bdf = -1 here), I believe it's due to the recent changeset:

7 days ago: iommu: disable by default. 'iommu' on cmdline to enable.
changeset 18057: b5bfe3515f65
http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg?rev/b5bfe3515f65

Now you need to specify "iommu=1" in the Xen grub entry to assign iommu devices.

I think the error message "Error: (‘<domain GUID>’, ‘VM_metrics’)" is confusing... We'd better improve it.

Thanks,
-- Dexuan