Re: [Xen-devel] MMIO ioremap() error with PCI passthrough

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] MMIO ioremap() error with PCI passthrough
From: Andy Burns <lists.xensource.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:27:30 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 15:27:56 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 01/07/2008 20:57, Keir Fraser wrote:

Interrupt sharing generally depends on which lines are
wired together on your mainboard. When Xen receives an interrupt on a shared
line it does not have enough information to demultiplex that interrupt to
the appropriate receiver -- it has to broadcast to all potential recipients.

OK.

Sucking data at several Mb/s from a tv tuner, then squirting it to disk, where the tuner and disk are sharing the same interrupt doesn't sound ideal then ;-)

The SATA controller is presently performing an online mdraid reshape from 6 to 8 disks, averaging 6000 interrupts per second, so that's probably what is triggering the 99,900 "ignored" interrupts in 40 seconds!

I have no idea what IOAPIC[1] above really represents. Usually the GSI range
for an IOAPIC corresponds to its array of interrupt input pins. I've never
heard of a 256-pin IOAPIC!

Could it relate to MSI?

The best you could hope for would be to try out the MSI/MSI-X support in the
xen-unstable tree (soon to be Xen 3.3). These are message-based interrupts
which completely sidesteps the issue of interrupt lines and their wiring
together.

Sounds good, but I gather it's only for PCIe or PCI2.3 devices, so my present tuners won't directly benefit, I suppose they might benefit indirectly by other devices using MSI and freeing up hardwired interrupts rather than being shared. Longer term I'll probably get a PCIe dual tuner.

Thanks for you help today, it'll likely be the weekend before I can look into this any further.