Re: [Xen-devel] How to test the disk performance in DU?

To: zhangxiang <zhangxiang@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How to test the disk performance in DU?
From: "Grzegorz Miłoś" <gm281@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:21:41 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 03:22:04 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=oJiMxOdrmKyutesDLUbnMKY+8mBWLNrMeC4ZOzz2RuI=; b=tuk4bewGdBhMRNL1zdjDcyJ9dewS5e2ycxMFcOcxbOyDMs1Lf+jnrYaC7//Cfud0e+ K5jR2kYjWPNStPYU6/tFo8CZIKBjQlEfuo5SfUWVqx+qvNuFcfaWFMF5QIjXzWu2c/tC WQwgBlh2xs63J2Uz5m1eCx3VC/Nc6WqJ1ILvo=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=c9hNMWxcogPPnNYgJNgE4yk3/fM49zdZyq/RENTEes8u9mU0136lozU+QLGv89r9jA RYDDJoxUo/T0MqL4obowvPy+fB6jeEhR/oLaUnyODb/T5H7UpVwuan6VST8SXo5Ylpd4 qirM7nCMiZOqBloJYRU6XHXTZ1IgW60ujErTM=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello, everybody:
>
> I have a question that how to test the disk performance in DU? In other
> word, how to eliminate the influence of D0's page cache?
> When using fsync() in DU, does Xen flush the dirty blocks into D0's page
> cache, or into the real disk?

There are two different I/O paths through Dom0: blkback or blktap.
blkback bypasses Dom0 page cache altogether, as it issues block I/O
ops directly.
blktap uses userspace daemons to handle DomU's I/O requests. There are
multiple drivers (as a conequence of supporting multiple disk image
formats), but they generally use O_DIRECT when accessing the image
files. So again, the Dom0's page cache should have little effect.

> When using direct I/O in DU, do the read and write operations bypass the
> DU's page cache, or bypass the D0's page cache?

Direct I/O (=O_DIRECT) in DomU should bypass both the DomU's (thanks
to linux kernel design) and Dom0's cache (as per explanation above).

BTW: The above holds for PV domains. I'm not certain if there is any
caching for HVM domains.

Cheers
Gr(z)egor(z)