Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen - Guest memory allocation

To: "dinesh chandrasekaran" <dinesh_chan8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen - Guest memory allocation
From: "Derek Murray" <Derek.Murray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 23:09:31 +0100
Cc: xen developers community <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen users community <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:09:59 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=Vod09xUwDcjMHWjY2lxh7z5pWsmec4V3OyuuDlzOGEw=; b=eI7b4tM8LrYGxqqu/XB1KUsos9HNGIUem2Yx75d7ocXhGtLF8fZ2oCDehQtRbt+GoI rwohCgA1HCj3n3L9Kxhv7CccghIpXg1uc/u1YoeoFuBc8SAn14ffDT6rqjF4V3BMKJxI 5EXRO/DjBE6gVqDsV/MUXdlu19UlLA3PgD74Y=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:reply-to:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to :mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=BmXdU1mcHmKfEGzZQPVdujTAVRU9w7pLm10kPwQoi9+ovzXnOee13LVOjHxjlG2+TM hn/VPobrBea4xkZMUhjGakVUac0S3ZW67aXE9YrYetKgKuxOyDMoFvUTrhrflxvuOBVY v7x3kJYA2p80VG3tJioi5ck3n4Ce1at0WrHTU=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dinesh,

The pages that are used for a DomU's memory are allocated when the
domain builder (in Dom0) calls xc_domain_populate_physmap(), which
executes a hypercall and ultimately calls populate_physmap() in
xen/common/memory.c.

I'm not terribly familiar with this code, but it looks like it might
be possible to hack in a replacement to achieve your desired effect.

Regards,

Derek Murray.