RE: [Xen-devel] please revert c/s 17686

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] please revert c/s 17686
From: "Wei, Gang" <gang.wei@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:08:26 +0800
Cc: "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:09:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok. Without hpet_broadcast, C3 can't work now.

First, we need to add check for mechanism readiness before entering C3
to avoid sleeping forever as you mentioned.

Second, there are 3 options to reenable C3.
  - Use pit_broadcast. Straightforward, may have some impacts on
tick-less effect.
  - Emulate RTC with legacy HPET. Need back porting from latest Linux
kernel.
  - Enable FSB delivery for HPET interrupt. Not all models support this
mode.

We would like to go with pit_broadcast first to ensure the C3 usability,
and look at other options later.

Thank Jan for your finding on this.

Jimmy