Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 boot failure with 256G

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 boot failure with 256G
From: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 19:48:12 -0700
Cc: "Kurt C. Hackel" <kurt.hackel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 19:49:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keir Fraser wrote:

On 5/6/08 08:24, "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

256GB is more than a 32b dom0 can handle. Presumably it works if you set
dom0_mem= to something smaller?

We should probably make the clipping of dom0 memory to something like
64GB automatic.
Xen ought to have crashed during dom0 build in that case, being unable to
allocate enough memory of the restricted address width supported by the 32b
dom0 guest. I agree that dom0_mem should be automatically intelligently
clamped. Currently nr_pages is clamped to UINT_MAX (!) for a 32b dom0, which
is still rather a big number.

Actually compat guests are good for up to 128GB, so you should be fine with
no dom0_mem= parameter.

 -- Keir

No, it crashed without dom0_mem paramater after I fixed the physaddr_bitsize in construct_dom0(). It looked like it was allocating almost 256G to dom0... things are fine now with dom0_mem= specified.

thanks
mukesh