Re: [Xen-devel] Compiling 2.6.24 Dom0 Kernel

To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Compiling 2.6.24 Dom0 Kernel
From: Nate Carlson <natecars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 23:35:25 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Heiko Rehder <heiko.rehder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 May 2008 21:37:53 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 16 May 2008, Ian Campbell wrote:
Some distributions (eg Fedora and Debian) seem to have Xen enabled
kernels for recent kernel versions, but I don't know how they got made
- I'd be interested to learn!

Those kernels are currently domU (and 32 bit) only. Dom0 support for the
paravirt kernels is being worked on by the Fedora guys for F10
http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=linux-2.6-dom0-pvops.git;a=summary
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0

Actually, Ubuntu 8.04 claims to offer a 2.6.24 kernel that can run on 64-bit, dom0 and domU.. from my 64-bit machine:

nc@nc-desktop:~$ apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.24-16-xen | grep ^Desc
for Xen dom0 and domU

I keep meaning to try it out, and then figure out where their patches came from, but haven't gotten to it yet. ;)