[Xen-devel] My description of function of TUN TAP interface. Please for

To: vbox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] My description of function of TUN TAP interface. Please for correct.
From: "Pavel Muller" <pav.muller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:41:16 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:12:32 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hier is link with my diagram TUN TAP communication.
http://abebe.wz.cz/vut.html

Blocks on the diagram:
---------------------------------

Aplikace - something application which use virtual network interface
/dev/net/tun - virtual network interface -> it is OK?
universal TUN TAP interface - driver for virtual network interface -> it is OK?
ovladac eth0 - driver eth0 (sorry for czech language:) )
eth0 - NIC (physical hardware)

White narrow - show route (way) outgoing (data from application to the network)
red narrow - show route (way) incoming (data from the network to the application)

OUTGOING communication
------------------------------------
1)App send data (with virtual IP) to the TCP/IP stack.

2)TCP/IP stack decide that data are determined for virtual network interface and send

    they to the universal TUN TAP interface.

3)universal TUN TAP interface send data to the /dev/net/tun

4)/dev/net/tun send data to the TCP/IP stack

5)TCP/IP stack send data to eth0 driver

6)eth0 driver send data to NIC

INCOMING communication
1)From the NIC to eth0 driver
2)From eth0 driver to TCP/IP stack
3)From TCP/IP stack to universal TUN TAP interface
4)From universal TUN TAP interface to /dev/net/tun
5)From /dev/net/tun to Application

Thanks for your help.
Regard Pavel