RE: [Xen-devel] Windows PV drivers 0.8.5 - network problems

To: "pembriar" <pembriar@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Windows PV drivers 0.8.5 - network problems
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:19:04 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:19:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> 1. DNS activity.  It is unable to use primary/secondary DNS servers to
> perform any DNS lookups (forward/reverse name lookups) via NSLOOKUP.
Any
> nslookup requests generate "Can't find server name" and "timed out"
> errors. We use the dns servers we have access in the ADC.

0.8.5 may have had problems with checksums on UDP packets - eg they were
completely broken.

> 2. WEB access.  We are also unable to use our web proxy using the PV
NIC
> driver to display web pages properly.

Could that have been DNS related?

> 3. RDP remote access to the VM is not working, although VNC remote
access
> is available.

That's strange. The latest version fixes a lot of these problems. I'll
be doing a binary release in the next 12 hours or so with any luck.

> Note 2: There are no port access issues indicative here; I'm able to
> telnet to all 3 services (DNS/HTTP/RDP) through their respective ports
> (ie., 53/80/3389).

A simple connect won't tell you anything unless you move some data. What
happens if you type the following in to a telnet to port 80:
"
GET / HTTP/1.1

"

Either way, probably best to check out the latest source and compile it
yourself, or just wait for the next binary release.

James