RE: [Xen-devel] vTPM in dom0

To: "Tom Buhl" <malists@xxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] vTPM in dom0
From: "Cihula, Joseph" <joseph.cihula@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:37:18 -0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:39:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday, March 14, 2008 5:52 AM, Tom Buhl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yesterday I posted a question to the xen-users list concerning usage
of the
> TPM in dom0.
> This is the original message:
> "I am using Xen 3.2.0 and want to use the TPM in dom0. I have
activated vtpm
> and everything runs fine in my domUs.
> The question is, how can I access the TPM in dom0? As far as I know
> vtpm_managerd exclusively locks /dev/tpm0. As soon as I start
vtpm_managerd
> my own program cannot access the TPM anymore. Is there a vtpm instance
for
> dom0 like the ones for the user domains?"
>
> Anna Fischer replied with the suggestion to ask this list, if there
has been
> any development recently in that direction. Is there a way to use the
TPM in
> dom0?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom

This was asked previously as part of a different thread
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-07/msg00812.htm
l), and the basic answer is that it was intended that only vTPM Manager
would have access to the physical TPM in dom0.  As such, it was written
with a stripped-down version of a TSS embedded withing itself, rather
than to use an external TSS (e.g. TrouSerS).

What is it that you would like to do with the physical TPM?

Joe