Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] PVFB: Add refresh period to XenStore parameters?

To: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] PVFB: Add refresh period to XenStore parameters?
From: Markus Armbruster <armbru@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:19:40 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 03:20:15 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Markus Armbruster, le Mon 03 Mar 2008 19:03:46 +0100, a écrit :
[...]
>> Are you sure the ability to control the rate is required?  Why isn't
>> it sufficient to be able to switch updates off?
>
> Being able to choose the smoothness of the interface is really a good
> user experience.  To my feeling, the current 30ms default rate of qemu
> (7% CPU) is not so smooth (people don't use 30Hz monitors, to they? ;).
> I usually prefer spending e.g. 14% CPU to get a 10ms rate, but of course
> I don't want that CPU time to be used when the viewer is off screen.
> Other people won't feel that need and can save CPU% by slowing it down.

If PVFB is not smooth enough, why not use some real remote graphics
tech?  Plain X11 (with NX for high latency connections) and VNC come
to mind.  PVFB is neat to run graphical installers and as an emergency
console, but I wouldn't want to use it for a desktop.

[...]