[Xen-devel] The I/O bandwidth controller: dm-ioband Performance Report

Hi All,

I report new results of dm-ioband bandwidth control test. The previous
test results were posted on Jan 25.
I've got really good results as well as the last report. dm-ioband
works well with Xen virtual disk.

I also announce that dm-ioband website has launched. The patches,
the manual, the benchmark results and other related information are
available through this site. Please check it out:
    http://people.valinux.co.jp/~ryov/dm-ioband/

Bandwidth control on a per partition basis

Test procedure
--------------
  o Prepare three partitions sda11, sda12 and sda13.
  o Create three ioband devices ioband1, ioband2 and ioband3 on each
    partition respectively.
  o Give weights of 40, 20 and 10 to each ioband device respectively.
  o Run 50, 100 and 200 processes issuing random read/write direct I/O
    with 4KB data on each ioband device at the same time respectively.
  o Count up the number of I/Os which have done in 60 seconds.

  o For comparison, do this test under different conditions. The
    conditions are:
    - Direct access to the physical devices without dm-ioband.
    - Give weights in equal proportion to each ioband devices.

   Read/Write process   Read/Write process   Read/Write process
         x 50                 x 100                x 200
           |                    |                    |
  +--------V---------+ +--------V---------+ +--------V---------+
  +------------------+ +------------------+ +------------------+
  +--------|---------+ +--------|---------+ +--------|---------+
  +--------V---------+ +--------V---------+ +--------V---------+
  |    /dev/sda11    | |    /dev/sda12    | |    /dev/sda13    | physical devs.
  +------------------+ +------------------+ +------------------+

Results
-------
                      Direct access without dm-ioband
  |     device      |      sda11      |      sda12      |      sda13      |
  |  I/O processes  |    50 (14.3%)   |   100 (28.6%)   |   200 (57.1%)   |
  |-----------------+-----------------+-----------------+-----------------|
  |      I/Os       |       1469      |       2486      |       5032      |
  |  ratio to total |      16.3%      |      27.7%      |      56.0%      |

              Weights in inverse proportion to the number of processes
  |     device      |      sda11      |      sda12      |      sda13      |
  |     weight      |   40 (57.1%)    |    20 (28.6%)   |    10 (14.3%)   |
  |-----------------+-----------------+-----------------+-----------------|
  |      I/Os       |       5023      |       2654      |       1369      |
  |  ratio to total |      55.5%      |      29.3%      |      15.1%      |

                         Weights in equal proportion
  |     device      |      sda11      |      sda12      |      sda13      |
  |     weight      |   10 (33.3%)    |    10 (33.3%)   |    10 (33.3%)   |
  |-----------------+-----------------+-----------------+-----------------|
  |      I/Os       |       2954      |       3004      |       2986      |
  |  ratio to total |      33.0%      |      33.6%      |      33.4%      |

Bandwidth control on a per logical volume basis

Test procedure
--------------
  o Prepare two partitions sda11 and sdb11.
  o Create a volume group with the two partitions.
  o Create two striped logical volumes on the volume group.
  o Give weights of 20 and 10 to lv0 and lv1 respectively.
  o Run 128 processes issuing random read/write direct I/O with 4KB data
    on each ioband device at the same time respectively.
  o Count up the number of I/Os which have done in 60 seconds.

Block diagram
-------------

   Read/Write process x 128       Read/Write process x 128
                |                              |
  +-------------V------------+   +-------------V------------+
  +--------------------------+   +--------------------------+
  +-------------|------------+   +-------------|------------+
  +-------------V------------+   +-------------V------------+
  +-------------|------------------------------|------------+
  +-------------V------------+   +-------------V------------+
  |         /dev/sda11       |   |         /dev/sdb11       | physical devices
  +--------------------------+   +--------------------------+

Result
------
  |     device      |       lv0       |       lv1       |
  |     weight      |   20 (66.6%)    |    10 (33.3%)   |
  |-----------------+-----------------+-----------------|
  |      I/Os       |      13508      |       6779      |
  |  ratio to total |      66.6%      |      33.3%      |

Bandwidth control on a per Xen virtual block device basis

Test procedure
--------------
  o Prepare two partitions sda11 and sda12.
  o Create two ioband devices ioband1 and ioband2 on each partition
    respectively.
  o Give weight of 20 and 10 to each ioband device respectively.
  o Create two virtual machines that using the ioband device as Xen
    virtual machine's disk.
  o Run 128 processes issuing random read/write direct I/O with 4KB
    data on each virtual machine at the same time respectively.
  o Count up the number of I/Os which have done in 60 seconds.

  +--------------------------+   +--------------------------+
  |     Virtual Machine 1    |   |     Virtual Machine 2    | virtual machines
  |                          |   |                          |
  | Read/Write process x 128 |   | Read/Write process x 128 |
  |             |            |   |             |            |
  +-------------|------------+   +-------------|------------+
  +-------------|------------+   +-------------|------------+
  +-------------V------------+   +-------------V------------+
  |        /dev/sda11        |   |        /dev/sda12        | physical device
  +--------------------------+   +--------------------------+

Result
------
  | virtual machine |       VM1       |       VM2       |
  |     weight      |   20 (66.6%)    |    10 (33.3%)   |
  |-----------------+-----------------+-----------------|
  |      I/Os       |       7140      |       3819      |
  |  ratio to total |      65.2%      |      34.8%      |

Bandwidth control on a per Xen virtual block device basis

Test procedure
--------------
  o Prepare one partition sda11.
  o Create two files on sda11 to use as virtual machine's disks.
  o Create an ioband devices on sda11.
  o Create two virtual machines that using the prepared files as Xen
    virtual machine's disk.
  o Create two extra ioband-groups on ioband1, the first is of process
    tapdisk1 and the second is of process tapdisk2.

  +-------------|------------+   +-------------|------------+
  +-------------V------------+   +-------------V------------+
  +-------------|------------+   +-------------|------------+   processes
  +-------------V------------------------------V------------+
  +-------------|------------------------------|------------+
  |                        /dev/sda11                        | physical device

Result
------
  | virtual machine |       VM1       |       VM2       |
  |     weight      |   20 (66.6%)    |    10 (33.3%)   |
  |      I/Os       |       7486      |       3895      |
  |  ratio to total |      65.8%      |      34.2%      |