Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch 0/4] Accelerated network drivers

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 07:00 -0700, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 10:17 +0000, Kieran Mansley wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 08:47 +0000, Kieran Mansley wrote:
> > > This patch set provides the standard net driver and accelerated network
> > > driver plug-ins for Solarflare range of 10G network cards.  The
> > > accelerated network plug-ins make use of the modifications contributed
> > > to netfront and netback last year.
> > >
> > > The four patches are as follows:
> > >
> > > Patch 1: standard Linux net driver (provides module "sfc")
> > > Patch 2: resource manager driver (provides module "sfc_resource")
> > > Patch 3: netfront plug-in module (provides module "sfc_netfront" and
> > > "sfc_netutil")
> > > Patch 4: netback plug-in module (provides module "sfc_netback")
>
> Hi Kieran,
>
>    I attempted to build this on ia64 and ran into several issues:

Apologies for the problems you've seen.  You've clearly hit something of
a sweet spot (or should that be sour-spot?) for compiling in ways I
don't do as routinely as I should.

I've attached a set of patches that should resolve all the problems you
describe.  Unfortunately until I can test more thoroughly on our IA64
hardware I've marked the acceleration modules as requiring CONFIG_X86,
so this will prevent these modules from being used on IA64 systems for
the time being.

The patches are as follows:

sfc_net_static_compile
 - fix the namespace clash problem from the module paramenters when
compiling the plugins statically into the kernel.

debugfs_create_u64
 - move the debugfs_create_u64 which had duplicate implementations in
each plugin into the standard Linux debugfs files.

sfc_debugfs_off_compile
 - Fix compile error when not selecting CONFIG_SFC_DEBUGFS

sfc_config_x86_dependency
 - Specify module "depends on" to more accurately describe what the real
dependencies are.

IA64_PRIx64
 - fix the definition of PRIx64 in the sfc modules to be properly
defined on IA64 architectures.

Thanks

Kieran