[Xen-devel] [XSM] Potential security vulnerability and inconsistency in

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] [XSM] Potential security vulnerability and inconsistency in evtchn_close
From: "Tan, Lin" <lintan2@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:04:22 -0600
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:04:38 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi All,

I found that evtchn_close() is not checked for authorization by xsm hooks in
some cases.

There is no xsm permission check before evtchn_close() called in
do_event_channel_op() as shown below. I imagine, maybe there is no need to
check if one can close itself, but it is probably still good to add a xsm hook
inside evtchn_close() in case we decide to expand evtchn_close() to close other
domains later.

In addition, almost all other functions such as evtchn_send() and
evtchn_status() put their xsm hooks inside themselves, it would be more
consistent to add a xsm_evtchn_close() hook in evtchn_close(). What do you
think? Thanks.

818   long do_event_channel_op(int cmd, XEN_GUEST_HANDLE(void) arg) {
874     case EVTCHNOP_close: {
875         struct evtchn_close close;
876         if ( copy_from_guest(&close, arg, 1) != 0 )
877             return -EFAULT;
878         rc = evtchn_close(&close);
879         break;
}