Re: [Xen-devel] A question no one can answer

To: Robert Stober <rstober@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] A question no one can answer
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:25:27 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 00:24:59 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Without hardware support to help with this (which does not exist) the
hypervisor is restricted to crude methods like monitoring cache-miss
performance counters and preempting an overly-aggressive guest. It is rather
likely that to get smooth enough throttling of bandwidth you would incur
significant monitoring and scheduling overhead. It's not even certain that
this approach would work at all!

 -- Keir