Re: [Xen-devel] getting etherboot compiling

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:25:53PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> John Levon writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] getting etherboot compiling"):
> > Such standards allow a system to provide a way of choosing to opt into
> > them. On Solaris, that involves fiddling with the path to pick the
> > standard variants (adding /usr/xpg4/bin would do it I think). This was
> > because SuS and other standards are incompatible with various bits of
> > historical behaviour.
>
> Well I think putting #!/usr/xpg4/bin/sh at the top of this script
> would work even less well.

Indeed.

> Is there an Official Sun Answer to what #!
> line should be put at the top of a portable SuSv3 shell script?

Not really. "/usr/bin/env sh" would be closest I suppose, assuming
you've set up your environment as in standards(5) (that is, set PATH
appropriately).

> As far as I can tell everyone else uses #!/bin/sh for this.

This is rarely true. Most commonly, this means "something that's kind of
like the Bourne shell, but definitely not the Korn or C shell", and
often "I actually mean bash".

> As I say, you don't need to run it now anyway (since Keir has checked
> in the generated roms.h).  Even so, if we have to break someone's
> attempts to build after hacking the roms, I'd rather break on where
> /bin/sh is prehistoric, which seems like an actual bug, rather than
> systems which don't have bash or maybe lack /bin/bash as a symlink.

Agreed.

regards,
john