PATCH(with manual interaction): Please document build-dependencies (for

To: Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx>
Subject: PATCH(with manual interaction): Please document build-dependencies (for Debian) in the README - was Re: [Xen-users] Building 3.2 on debian
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 11:07:23 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 02:08:02 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 15:45 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Just for reference, I thought I'd document the debian
> packages I've needed to install to get "make world" to
> work (starting with a minimal network install of debian).
>
> The packages seem to correspond to dependencies mentioned
> in the README: gcc, libc6-dev, zlib1g-dev, python-all-dev,
> libncurses5-dev, libssl-dev, libx11-dev, bridge-utils.

These are quite outdated and never updated since 3.0.0

> Then there are all the dependencies I discovered during
> the many build attempts: gawk, gettext, pciutils-dev,
> tetex-base, tetex-bin, tetex-brev, tetex-doc, tetex-extra,
> tetex-frogg, tetex-frogg-doc, transfig, graphviz

As you said in another mail, for completeness: bcc is needed, too, plus,
here is what I once figured out (last tested with 3.0.4 or something, I
guess, as I resorted to user pre-built package some months ago):

python-dev
bcc
binutils-static
transfig
swig
gcc
zlib1g-dev
python-dev
binutils
transfig
ncurses-dev
tetex-base
tetex-extra
gs-common
bin86
ghostscript
libvncserver-dev
libsdl1.2-dev
libncurses5-dev
graphviz

Not all are required for all useage scenario's (e.g.) some can be left
off if you don't intend to run hvm domains, or graphical stuff, or if
you don't need the docs.

> Perhaps not all of these are necessary, I tended to install
> lots of related stuff "just in case" once I encountered
> something missing. Odds are good that most of these are
> only needed for building the docs.
>
> I'm still building, but this may be a complete list (unless
> something new turns up - but I was really close to getting
> everything built in the last build :-).

Might be a good idea to beg the developers to add the (final) list of
deb packages needed to build into the README of te sources.

This is a problem/misssing documentation since ever I know Xen, and it
costed me and obviously everybody who ever tried to build it ages of
time.
A small change for one developer with committ access to the README - a
big spare of time (that could be invested in helping the project
otherwise) for many source-builders...

I also have somewhere the list of packages needed to build on Fedora and
OpenSuse (also, tested with 3.0.4, but better than nothing). As soon as
someone with the necessary commit rights says he is willing to add that
info, I will llok the other package lists up!

Henning

BTW: yes I know, we're building the engine here, and not the car, so
it's not for end users, but think of how many engineers can help
building the car if not everybody has to figure which screws are needed
on his own, but instead it is documented once, and updated everytime
somebody adds a new screw to the plan...