RE: [Xen-devel] Question: xenoprof on HVM domU

To: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Question: xenoprof on HVM domU
From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:02:05 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:03:19 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Today the only hypercalls available to hvm guests are those needed to support
PV drivers.
The rational is that hvm is used to support unmodified OS which by definition
do not use hypercalls.  Exposing other hypercalls to hvm guests is a more
general issue and not xenoprof specific. Jun Nakajima from Intel has proposed a
hybrid virtualization model combinig hvm with paravirtualization
(http://xen.org/files/xensummit_4/XenLinux_Nakajima.pdf) by exposing additional
hyperacalls to hvm guests. When this model is accepted and supported into Xen
we can think of exposing xenoprof hypercall to hvm guests. For now you can
profile hvm guests using the passive domain model.

Regards

Renato