Re: [Xen-devel] Xen inside Xen with VMX?

To: "Morten Hansen" <paradigm__82@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen inside Xen with VMX?
From: "pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:39:09 +0530
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 03:09:36 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=bHzDoyK8/leZ/rg3qdFsL+Vov8iM24SYsw65GYRvUVo=; b=Li+n+fgdyvb3lCucT0QtwaUVmNhNg/opRLgMQq4dBPBlc6h9KF1YHz5GNV/fbqsNRm2jH6NP+mdr5dRum3CWzxQPQuboTwqoWqw1h9UzoUWjFhaist9S8NYDbwDEf9S9f8m6HIZZ0n11hwgEk3NHFIdvC7RUY2PidjF8/GRn0S4=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi
On 31/01/2008, Morten Hansen <paradigm__82@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> out of curiosity, I was wondering if it is possible to support recursive
> emulation in Xen, i.e. if it is possible to have Xen as a guest in Xen
> (possibly with other guests inside those Xen's)? I'm particularly curious if
> this is possible when running Xen using Intel's VT extensions (or AMD's
> Pacifica), i.e. do these enhancements provide the hypervisor with enough
> control that it can virtualize the virtualization enhancements themselves
> (without a prohibitive loss in performance)?

AFAIK I guess xen can still run inside a HVM guest. yes/no?
And therefore atleast can run PV guests over it, though i doubt HVM
guests will work too.

Thanks,
        --Pradeep
> If it's not possible I guess VT etc. doesn't really offer true emulation
> since the guest would be able to detect the emulation by noticing that it
> wasn't itself able to become a hypervisor.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Best regards,
>
> MH

Pradeep Singh Rautela