[Xen-devel] Re: [ofa-general] MTHCA driver for Linux

To: Roland Dreier <rdreier@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [ofa-general] MTHCA driver for Linux
From: Lukas Hejtmanek <xhejtman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:48:34 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:49:47 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 12:36:00PM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
> I would like to understand the underlying problem before blindly
> setting the .shutdown method of the ib_mthca PCI driver section.  The
> mthca driver should be able to handle the hardware being in an
> arbitrary state when it is reloaded -- that is why it resets the
> adapter very early during initialization.  Do you have any idea what
> is going wrong in the case where the machine resets?

The pcifront-end of xen is wrong. It touches somehow the device when the DomU
is starting. At that point, it resets the box hardly, if DomU has been started
already with IB driver since the box start up.

If the IB device is properly shut down (rmmod ib_mthca), pcifront-end driver
does not reset the box at DomU start up.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek