Re: [Xen-devel] 3.1/2 live migration panic

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 3.1/2 live migration panic
From: Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:24:45 +0000
Cc: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 01:28:00 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 23:01 +0000 on 16 Jan (1200524481), Keir Fraser wrote:
> Well that's a lot saner even without being a debug build. Possibly Tim has
> some insight into how this can happen... I expect the 'recursive shadow
> fault' is simply a result of the fault in shadow_set_l1e() causing an
> unexpected re-entry into shadow code.

Yep, that's exactly it.  It's there to stop an unexpected #PF in the
shadow code itself from being even more confusing by having the shadow
code try to handle it and then fail in some other, wierder, way later.
Instead, we bail out and let the normal fatal-page-fault handler take
over.

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd.