[Xen-devel] Re: domUloader Vs pygrub

To: xendevel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, XenUsers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: domUloader Vs pygrub
From: jd <jdsw2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:10:31 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:12:26 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
fwding to xendevel for comments.

Basically, I have some vm_templates with pygrub that
work, but with domUloader for each image, one has to
find out the kernel/ramdisk from domU and provide this
in the vm config file.

What is a good way to do this ?

(scanning disks, partitions, mounting them, and then
search for kernel. .. isnt this what the loader is
supposed to do ?)

I really hope I am missing something in the way to use
domUloader.

thanks
/Jd

--- jd <jdsw2002@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>   I have been using pygrub for most of the needs.
> Was
> trying out some stuff on SLES 10 SP1. It seems that
> it
> does not have pygrub!!
>
>     On the other hand,they have domUloader.py which
> requires bootargs="--entry=hda:/boot/vmlinuz....,
> path
> to ramdisk.
>
>    It is quite strange to be asking for the path of
> the kernel and the ramdisk to be supplied in the
> conf
> file!!.
>
> Am I missing something here ? PyGrub does not
> require
> all these details.
>
> For example :
>     on one of my images, the path is

/boot/initrd-2.6.16.29-0.11.smp.pae.gcc3.4.x86.i686.xen.domU.img