[Xen-devel] Re: [XEN-IOMMU] Proposal of DMA protection/isolation support

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 15:54 +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> Grant table mappings/unmappings are an obvious place where we already trap
> to the hypervisor and could make correspodning changes to iommu mappings?
Can grant mapping cover the situation in which a device only be accessed
by a driver domain other than be shared with any remote domain? In other
word, when a device is only access by a driver domain, does grant table
mapping still happen? If yes, it is the best way to go.

> It depends if we want the iommu to do any more than prevent arbitrary DMA
> access to foreign pages. What's the threat model you are wanting to use the
> iommu to protect against?
I think IOMMU can help to prevent buggy driver from destroying memory content
of both
driver domain itself and foreign domain. Proper IO address which is
requested by device driver should only be provided by some pre-defined
interfaces/hypercalls.  Arbitrary dma addresses written to a device by a
buggy driver will not trigger address translations.

-Wei