RE: [Xen-devel] one question on the PCI ioport base address forhvm domai

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xu, Anthony" <anthony.xu@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] one question on the PCI ioport base address forhvm domain in hvmloader.c
From: "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:52:40 +0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 07:53:23 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes, the guest OS should be allowed to remap BAR.
But I don't know are there any OS will try to remap BAR, except Vista.
And even in Vista, we can still try to disable BAR remapping through
bcdedit.
The benifit to set guest IO port address same as physical one is, if
guest didn't try to remap, then it can access IO port directly without
cause VMExit. That may help performance. Although IO port is not so
important for PCI device now, but that may still be helpful on some
situation, considering USB 1.1 device.
Of course,we need still support the BAR remapping, what we can do is,
our guest BIOS (hvmloader in fact) will set the initial value same to
physical one.

-- Yunhong Jiang