[Xen-devel] Re: One potential issue of shadow fault emulation

At 00:05 +0800 on 22 Dec (1198281908), Jiang, Yunhong wrote:
> >> So how should we cope with such situation? Stop emulation or,
> continue
> >> emulate , but access the virtual APIC page? Or any better idea?
> >
> > We should stop emulation.  Probably nobody writes the TPR between the
> two
> > halves of a PTE write. :)
>
> This did happen :)

OK.  I've learned something new today. :)

I think it's cleanest to just fail the emulation if we find we're
writing to the vlapic, rather than adding special-case code to detect
and handle TPR writes within the page.  Unless this is a particularly
common path and would have a measurable performance impact for the extra
VMEXIT.

Cheers,

Tim.

--
Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Principal Software Engineer, Citrix Systems.