Re: [Xen-devel] RE: GPL Win PV driver issues

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 04:09:50AM +0000, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > The PV netfront driver should scan the PCI bus for another NIC with the
> > same MAC and claim those resources?
>
> Well, presumably, it can get more useful information from Xen with
> appropriate
> tools support: e.g. query out what PCI devices have PV counterparts so it
> knows what it *can* grab.  Then the admin in the domU can be responsible for
> the decision of which PV devices to enable?

I would have suggested the NIC driver just grab all ne2k & rtl8139 nics, but
actually since Dom0 knows exactly what emulated NIC correspond to the PV
nic it could trivially write this into XenStore. Then as you suggest the
PV driver can look this up directly rather than having to use hueristics

Dan.