Re: [Xen-devel] [FW: FYI: The plan for Xen kernels in Fedora 9]

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [FW: FYI: The plan for Xen kernels in Fedora 9]
From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:47:34 +0000
Cc: Stephen Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:48:18 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 15:20 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > So the plan is to re-focus 100% of all Xen kernel efforts onto paravirt_ops.
> > LKML already has i386 pv_ops + Xen DomU. We intend to build on this to
> > add:
> >
> >   - x64_64 pv_ops
> >   - x86_64 Xen DomU on pv_ops
> >   - i386 & x86_64  Xen Dom0  on pv_ops
> >   - memory balloon
> >   - paravirt framebuffer
> >   - save/restore

There are a few other bits and pieces missing in the current pv_ops
code:

 CPU hotplug
 ia64 support (this has already been brought up on xen-ia64-devel)
 kexec
 xenoprof

but the fact that we've got a functional (albeit 32-bit-only)
implementation already upstream to work against is a great help in
getting some of these efforts going on in parallel.

64-bit support and functional dom0 are definitely our top priorities
right now for Fedora.

At some point, the Xen community is going to have to think about turning
off the air supply to the old 2.6.18-based tree. :)

--Stephen