Re: [Xen-devel] consistent LVM snapshot of domUs from dom0

To: Stefan de Konink <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] consistent LVM snapshot of domUs from dom0
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:16:56 +0000
Cc: nikola.ciprich@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nikola Ciprich <extmaillist@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Sun <msun@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:17:40 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Just a question about unsafely. I have implemented iscsi and zfs as
> combination with Xen on Linux. Is the only safe procedure:
>
> pause
> memory snapsnot
> [send out disk snapshot]
> resume

As long as you've got a reasonably recent version of Xen, I think that should
work fine.

I guess you're using a Solaris as a guest and Linux as a host?  I'm not so
familiar with Solaris or zfs...

However, I can perhaps be a little speculative.  Since zfs is
transaction-based you probably don't actually *have* to pause the guest
before you back it up...  If you were to LVM snapshot the VBD from dom0, then
the resulting snapshot would probably still be a mountable ZFS volume, it
would just be as if the power had been cut off to the VM at that point.  You
would lose cached and in-memory data (I guess there might be incomplete
writes to files, but I'm not even sure that'd be the case).  There'd be no
guarantee that the data are consistent at the application level, but there's
no general way to ensure consistency at application level in a running
machine anyhow.

In summary: you might be able to get away with not taking the memory snapshot,
based on my understanding of ZFS (which is a bit vague).  You could
experiment with this, but really it's not going to take long to do a memory
snapshot too and that seems the safest (works regardless of FS
implementation) and most complete (won't lose any data, even cached and
in-memory state).

I hope that helps a bit, sorry for hand-waving so much but I don't have
specific experience with what you're doing!

Cheercs,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!