Re: [Xen-devel] purpose of /var/lib/xend/state

To: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] purpose of /var/lib/xend/state
From: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 15:56:45 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 07:57:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 03:48:48PM +0000, John Levon wrote:

> What are these XML files actually for? I don't understand why this
> information needs to persist - can somebody explain the reason?
>
> When these files become corrupted for whatever reason, xend fails to
> start altogether. At the very least, this needs to be made more robust
> (I may work on a patch for this once I understand this stuff better).

Its a serious pain wrt to networking. At startup XenD scans all active
network interfaces and saves a record of them. Next-time you start XenD
it will re-create any that it previously saw.

This is exceedingly bad for interfaces/bridges managed by the distro
init scripts. eg, if I had a bridge configured and then remove its
config, XenD will now happily re-create this bridge itself.  I've got
a patch pending to make XenD leave any externally managed PIFs alone
only touching one it created itself via XenAPI

Dan.