[Xen-devel] Revisiting the Xenoprof problem

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Revisiting the Xenoprof problem
From: "Venkataraman, Meenakshi" <meenakshi.venkataraman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:32:05 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:34:00 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

There was a discussion previously on oprofile not working in Dom U.
Oprofile prints the following message and exits.

-------- snip -----------

Using default event: CPU_CLK_UNHALTED:100000:0:1:1 Using 2.6+ OProfile
kernel interface.
Reading module info.
Failed to open profile device: Operation not permitted Couldn't start
oprofiled.
Check the log file "/var/lib/oprofile/oprofiled.log" and kernel syslog

There was an email exchange a year ago on the same problem. (see here:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-05/msg01168.html
)

I've followed the sequence of steps mentioned in the thread, and yet I
get the same problem. I'm starting the daemon in Dom0 before I start
oprofile in the guest.

Thoughts and/or solutions, anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Meenakshi