Re: [Xen-devel] No console with xen-3.2

To: Stefan Berger <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] No console with xen-3.2
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:33:43 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:41:20 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 13/11/07 19:26, "Stefan Berger" <stefanb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 11/13/2007 02:14:01 PM:

> Okay, thanks. To be clear, it crashes for you with no console output
> at all? Is that over serial line, or on vga? If on vga, is it text
> mode or vesa lfb (the latter is initialised relatively late in boot)?

This is on VGA output. I haven't checked serial line.
The boot entry in grub.conf has only one parameter for xen and that's dom0_mem=2G -- must be VGA then?

Yes. It should be the ‘traditional’ crappy lo-res text mode. That gets initialised early.

Oh, I see I put in an unconditional MSR_EFER access early on. Not all systems will have that.... Ooops, will fix.

 -- Keir