Re: [Xen-devel] How to compile a module for dom0 or domU kernel?

To: "Akio Takebe" <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How to compile a module for dom0 or domU kernel?
From: "ashutosh mehra" <ashutosh.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:43:55 +0530
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:14:32 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=WxYwIfyAkPrUYkhqqcQp1iB8CK5cNKWfgzvLwHFuH/g=; b=YtRTj1bL1+c78LpdHLU8LOsmXV1dtulYImt0K57reSWioxP4exlIrCk05zCqdbJvS7ngHz6FCPi45FMp1Ff2owd91Hyr6jYZ0GmNBRh3eT7dN8LU7Hrk4kXdArKDkZbcGtlpTwutE8F0JIQTpRL6FLayQ27+mFQLXTWsM9Lv6rY=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Akio,

I was trying the same command as the second one you mentioned. But I had moved the xen-3.1.0-src directory after compiling xen to some other folder. On specifying the new path, make was still trying to access files in the old path. Creating a symlink to the new path fixed the problem :)

But I'm not able to load the module, dmesg gives an error: Unknown symbol xenbus_write(). I have included xen/xenbus.h, do I need to do anything in addition to that?

Regards,
Ashutosh

On 10/31/07, Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

>I am trying to create a new module for a domU kernel (which FYI, includes
>the xen/xenbus.h header file), but I'm unable to figure out how to compile
>it. What should be the command and the Makefile for compiling the module? I
>tried compiling it like a linux kernel module, but I guess I didn't give the
>correct path. None of the paths I tried with -C worked.
Did you use different vmlinuxs between dom0 and domU?
If using the same vmlinux, you can compile it on dom0 with the same way as linux.
For example, like the below.
"make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` V=1 modules"

If no, I think you should be able to use like the below.
"make -C /home/hoge/xen-unstable.hg/build-linux-2.6.18-xenU_ia64 M=`pwd` V=1
modules"

Best Regards,

Akio Takebe