[Xen-devel] TSO doesn't work for domU (because of routing?)

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] TSO doesn't work for domU (because of routing?)
From: Milan Holzäpfel <listen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:32:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:33:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

large file transfers via TCP from a Xen domU were horribly slow, as the
domU tried to send packets larger than the MTU, which were probably
discarded.  I got back to normal speed be issueing
| ethtool eth0 -K tso off
on the domU.

I believe that the dom0 of that machine successfully does TSO, as I see
many packets three our four times the size of the line MTU going out
with tcpdump dump.

All my xen virtual networks are routed.  Is domU TSO supposed to work
in a routed environment?  If not, should it be disabled automatically?

Xen version is Xen-3.1.1.  Kernel version is 2.6.22.9-0.4 from
OpenSUSE-10.3.

Regards,
Milan

--
Milan Holzaepfel <mail(a)mjh(d)name>             <URL:http://mjh.name/>
pub  4096R/C790FC23  EB8E 5E81 81E3 53A9 9B74  B895 5179 54C0 C790 FC23